Wednesday, July 3, 2013

How To Get Rid of Poison Ivy

There are so many tips and tricks out there on how to get rid of poison ivy, but I want to find something that really works. BUT I don't want to put bleach on my skin in order for it to "work". 

We went to camp this weekend to celebrate Canada Day, and I ended up with two small patches of poison ivy on my face. Not the best situation, but my foundation is helping me deal with it :)

What causes poison ivy rashes
The plant, poison ivy, has an oil called urushiol in its leaves. When your skin comes in contact with the oil, it has a reaction that causes your skin to develop welts/blisters/rashes. 

Even if you do NOT directly touch the plant, you can still get poison ivy. If you have a dog or a cat, they can pick up the poison ivy on their fur and transfer the oil to you. 

Some basic tips when dealing with poison ivy:
  • Do NOT rub/scratch/touch the affected area. It will make the poison ivy spread even more!
  • Wash your hands and finger nails to prevent the urushiol oil from spreading

Some solutions I've found online:
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Salt Water
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Baking Soda & Vinegar solution
  • Oatmeal
With all of these, it says to apply some to the affected area. 

What the pharmacist says:
Our local pharmacist told us to apply dish soap to the affected area. Since dish soap is normally used to rid of oils on plates and utensils, it seems like a logical solution!

My current status:
So far, I've had this poison ivy rash for one day. I've tried the rubbing alcohol and it's definitely calmed down my itchiness. I'll do another update this week to let you know what works and what doesn't!


No comments:

Post a Comment