- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dutch process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
CREAM CHEESE & WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 6 oz (175 g) white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) deli-style cream cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) peppermint oil (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) crushed candy cane
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Reserve.
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the batter, beating until combined. Add half of the buttermilk. Repeat, adding alternating ingredients until all the flour mixture and buttermilk have been incorporated.
- To make peppermint cream, beat cream with sugar and peppermint oil until it holds soft peaks. Reserve.
- To assemble, cut cake into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes with a serrated knife. Spoon about 1/3 cup (80 mL) of ganache into the bottom of a large glass trifle dish or decorative bowl. Place half of cubed cake into dish fitting them tightly to make a single layer. Spoon about 1 cup of ganache over cake to make an even layer. Dollop on a little less than hald of the peppermint cream, and repeat layers, ending with peppermint cream. Sprinkle trifle with crushed candy canes just before serving
Happy Cooking & Happy Holidays!